PDA

View Full Version : Keylogger question

seal_of_approva
06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi there. My question is regarding saved passwords in browsers. Do browsers input the information into the password fields in a way that would register with a keylogger?

I'm speaking specifically of Firefox if that matters.

Ezekiel
06-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Yes. Keyloggers catch all keystrokes a user makes, so their browser is irrelevant.

seal_of_approva
06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't explain myself correctly.

What I'm talking about is saved passwords. For example, when I go to hotmail or whatever, Firefox automatically populates my user name/password.

So, though I have typed nothing, would a keylogger pick up on Firefox imputting that information, or does it only pick up keystrokes that I actually make?

nozf3r4tu
06-10-2007, 01:49 AM
no.............you might get the link type log from the keylogger,but the cookies will be expired,and you will be redirectec again to the login screen.

Ezekiel
06-10-2007, 04:51 AM
So, though I have typed nothing, would a keylogger pick up on Firefox imputting that information, or does it only pick up keystrokes that I actually make?

No, it wouldn't be capable of that unless it was specifically designed to either decrypt Firefox saved passwords or somehow monitor the WM_SETTEXT window messages Firefox sends to the text boxes on the page (I could be wrong there because I haven't done Win*2 programming in a long time). None of those would be easy to accomplish, and I certainly wouldn't be able to do it without many days of research.

Also, many people probably wouldn't choose to remember passwords (I don't, nor do I keep a history or download history), and you can choose to set a ****** password which I'd imagine further encrypts the stored passwords.

gordo
06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
From the spytector.com faq....
In the delivered logs are also included the Protected Storage passwords (Outlook, MSN and others), FireFox passwords and URL history (visited websites).